Looseness in front end

Along with my torn rack boots, I've got a strange looseness in the front end
of my GTi VR6 that I can't pinpoint.  I do have 60K on original strut
bearings, and I've had the subframe down a few times and never replaced the
bolts, so I'm gonna look into those two areas for trouble.  Is there a sure
fire way to test strut bearings?  The archives were not very helpful there.
The clunk can be felt in the wheel over bumps at all speeds, but the
steering itself is tight with no play.  I've also developed a clutch chatter
recently, so maybe the subframe is loose or even a motormount is on its way
out.  Anyone got ideas?

Thanks,
Greg