RE: tires and rim size

The car will be slower with a larger diameter wheel even if you compensate
with a lower profile tire.  This is because you increase unsprung weight when
you increase the diameter of the wheel unless you can afford extremely
light-weight wheels.  That is why I run 13" wheels on my race car even though
the rules in my class would allow me to run 14" wheels if I wanted to.

This doesn't apply to cars that come with steel wheels as original equipment
because a larger diameter aluminum wheel is usually lighter or weighs just as
much as a smaller diameter steel wheel.

The basic rule is that if you replace your current tire & wheel combination
with one that weighs more than what you currently have on the car, your car
will be slower although it may handle better if you choose carefully.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB