From: DESEOSA@aol.com [mailto:DESEOSA@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 1999 4:07 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: sluggish V6/aggressive pull out/ garret chip/ K&N

   It seems some list members are under the impression that because someone is
female they don't know how to operate a 5 speed. I'm not a feminist, so I
don't care ;-) But, I will say this, and I won't be modest, when it comes to
my boys (my Jettas) I can kick ass with a clutch and a shifter. Having said
that, this is the first A3 I've driven and I've had him less than 3 months. It
could be that I am not completely comfertable with the shifting yet.
   I don't expect to turn my VW into a corvette but I do expect the superior
performance I love VWs for.  There is a reason I bought a used GLX and not a
new GEO and it ain't the vanity mirror. The hiway full speed and kick down
factor are everything I knew they would be. When I say my Jet seems sluggish
I'm not trying to pop the clutch and race Camaros out of red lights. I'm
reffering to a general aggressive pull off; ie: You aren't racing, but you
can't help but smile when you look in the rearview and the other cars look
like ants. Popping the clutch and ripping out of a red light is a dead give
away your racing. I prefer the smooth but aggressive approach that says "I'm
not racing you but I'm kicking your ass anyway. Bye bye, see you at the next
red light." I know some of you guys out there know what I'm talking about. I'm
having problems pulling away from the other cars in those lower gears (you
know, in the city you don't make it out of 4th gear...)  It just seems I broke
away faster in the A2. Like I said, maybe it's the newness factor with the
different trans, but I don't really think so. I'm gonna try both types of pull
offs on the way home and see if I can time it. If someone knows what I'm
talking about with the aggressive pull off, help me out and see if you can
time it.
    As far as the Garrett chip I'm seriously considering it.  Maybe what I
consider "sluggish" is the lower gears hitting their maximum, therefore having
to shift what I feel is prematurely. On the A2, I can do 55mph in third gear.
Of course, I can't put one in till my warranty ends. >:-[
   On the K&N filter web site their Email is down. They have the K&N
replacement element, the bolt on unit, and the 57i kits. Which one am I
supposed to be going for, and 'bout how much do they cost?

Angie
22 years old and only two children: my oldest boy '87Jetta GLI, and the baby
boy, '95 Jetta/// GLX- they make a mother proud.