RE: frozen e-brake

FYI - I put the car (97' GLX) on a lift yesterday and found the problem with
the frozen e-brake.  The short of it is stupid engineering design.   The
long story is this (which some or most may know).  The e-brake cable wraps
under the rear "axle" and then swings up to attach to the brake.  When the
brake is applied the cable pulls down.  At the end of the cable is a small
rubber boot that is supposed to keep water from entering the protective
cable jacket.  The boot seals around the actual cable (gasket) and is
attached to the cable jacket.  Well, the boot gasket end ripped off from the
boot (on both sides) so that the boot now acts as a nice cup catching and
funneling water into the cable jacket!  When I squeezed the boot a whole
bunch of water came out.  Hence the cable was freezing to the cable jacket.
Of course, engineering being what it is today, in order to repair the 10
cent boots, the whole cable has to be ordered.  So I am now in the process
hammering on the dealer to replace it.

Does this problem happen in GT2?

Marc

Marc J. Gallagher
Assistant Project Engineer

Langan
Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.

	River Drive Center I
	Elmwood Park, NJ  07407-1338
	(201) 794-6900
	(201) 794-0366 FAX