Door lock vacuum pump

I'm having a problem with the vacuum pump for the door locks.  When unlocking  the doors, it works fine.  When I lock the doors, either with the key or by pushing the stem on the door (95 model, so there's no console button) the vacuum pump runs for about 2 minutes.  It is very annoying and is probably hard on the pump.  This started happening coincidentally after the lock cylinder in the driver side door broke off.

What triggers the pump to stop after the doors are locked?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul M. Purcell
Administrator