RE: Oil questions

Jack...

I've asked a few people about the Castrol Synthetic and have not received
positive feedback.
I was told that you should run a 15w40 or 15w50 in the Jetta's for two
reasons:
a) Longer Engine Life
b) The VR6 has oil deposits in various locations inside the engine and does
not
need the thinner oil to protect it during startup because the oil is already
in the
oil pockets throughout the engine.

Two oils that were recommended were Mobil 1 15w40 full synthetic or
Canadian Tire Synthetic 15w40 which is made by Mobil in the US (basically
the same stuff) for $5.69 a litre.

I haven't found any cheap oil filters around here, I was shocked to pay $26
for the
oil filter at the dealership.  Let me know if you find a place in Toronto
... I'd try UAP
and see if they have anything.

Hope this helps.

TM VW