Re: Bumper Side light removal?

>If you're just seeking to replace the bulb, you'll actually have to come
>around from the inside of the bumper.  1/4 (or 1/2) twist to the left (i
>think), and the whole socket will come out.  replace the bulb, put back
>into light, and volila.
>
>Sundie...
>
>Vr6bhp@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> How do those damn bumper side light come out? I dont wanna break em'.
>> Struggling, Shannon

Nah. There's a spring-like flange on the assembly which kind of clips to
the inside of the bumper. Insert a flat bit of metal (butter knife or
some such) between the bumper and the side-marker housing, at the
rearwards end of it, and you're likely to catch this clip. You bend the
clip inwards (towards the front of the car), which lets it clear the side
of the hole in the bumper. I'll try to "draw" it for you:

          __|-|____________________
Interior of car
 tab--> =|                      | _| <--metal clip       /-bumper wall
=========|                      |/===============================
         \______----------------/ \--insert knife here to bend clip out
de way

Exterior of car

Bending the cli pout o' de way, you can then pull that rearward end of
the assembly out from the bumper, pivoting on a tab at the other end of
the assembly. That's the basic idea, anyway, if you'll pardon the crappy
graphic. After that, the whole assembly comes out, dangling by the bulb's
wire. The boxy thingy on the top/interior of the assembly if the bulb
housing, which twists and released. Yank the old bulb, replace with the
new, and then twist back into the locked position. Fit the front of the
assembly (the part with the tab) back into place, and then swing the
whole thing back into the bumper. The metal clip will snap back into
place when the assembly is in all the way.
   I hope that that's more helpful than hindering.
-T
'95 GLX (smoked-out side marker lights, and other mods)
'84 GLi (just some other mods)

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!
         ... who cares?