Re: [gti-vr6] A4 seatbelt tensioner recall

In a message dated 4/15/99 8:57:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Gary.Lin@wang.com writes:

<< If anyone caught that std. Dateline feature last night on the Insurance
 Institute's offset crash testing, they found a defect that led to a recall
 of all new A4 Golfs and Jettas.  The seatbelt tensioner firing off sets some
 sound dampening insulation around it on fire.  Take yours in if you haven't
 done so already or check it out yourself by removing the B pillar covers and
 getting rid of the stuffing all around the tensioner box. >>

The recall was ONLY for A4 Jetta's and A4 4dr Golf's.  A4 GTI's and Golf 2drs
were  not affected by the recall or the sealt belt tensioner problem.

Personally, I thought that Dateline did a hatchet job reporting about the
problem (as ususal).  They got worked up over the small fire that was caused
by the seat belt tensioner (a serious problem I agree) but it took them
enough time to state that VW already knew of the problem and had recalled all
the affected vehicles.  Dateline should have also reported that the recall
was performed THREE months ago.  A4 Jetta's have only been available since
mid November and A4 Golf's since mid-January and both with some scarcity at
first, so not that many vehicles were affected.  Also, and yes this is
nitpicking, the "reporter" stated that "...the Jetta is also known as the
Golf".  Sure..... the differences between the Golf and Jetta are minor like a
Dodge and Plymouth Neon (see how poorly the Neon did!?).....NOT!  They might
have well have  said that the Jetta is the same as the New Beetle since they
are built with the same chasis.

My wife's A4 Jetta GLS was indeed recalled (we got it in December) and VW
performed the recall quickly.

James Locopo
99 A4 GTI GLX
99 Jetta GLS