After market Stereo

Ever since I bought my GLX (in 95) I've been telling my wife that it has
been clambering for a 6 disc changer for the trunk.  Well two Christmases
ago she got me a new deck for the dash and changer for the trunk.  She got
it from Crutchfield (please no flames) and I installed it myself.  The
installation was pretty straight forward, everything went fine- no hang up,
no problems.

Well now after two years I am seeing several dash components starting to
fail.  First was the climate control lights went out.  Then the first
stations (1 of 4) of the fan stopped working.  Next the rear window defrost
toggle stopped toggling (frozen on).  And now last week the fog lamp switch
won't budge.  I have also noticed that the control console (around the
climate controls) gets quite hot, especially on long trips.  I pulled out
the defrost toggle and found that a plastic rocker arm had melted to a
strike plate.  I severed the weld and it seems to work again.

Is my after market deck causing these problems?  Are things just getting two
hot back there?  If so then why the fog lamp control. on the other side of
the driving gauges.  Is the fog lamp control failure just a red haring?

 Chris Callahan