Re: VR6 Maintenance

>Maybe someone has their maintenance book handy and can give you
>the regular maintenance services for each increment of milage.

I quote from the Bentley:

1) 7500 + 22500 mile service:
-oil+filter
-coolant level/fill
-check+lub hood lock (Canadian cars only)
-check tire pressure/condition
-rotate tires
-reset SRI (MFA service reminder indicator)
-check shiftlock (automatics only)

2) 15000 + 45000 mile service:
-oil+filter
-coolant level/fill
-brake fluid level/fill
-power steering fluid/fill
-check for fluid leaks
-check+lube hood lock (Canadian cars only)
-pollen filter replace
-battery fluid level/fill (non-maintenance-free batteries only)
-camshaft drivebelt condition/tension check (diesel only)
-check engine idle speed
-check tire/spare pressure/condition
-rotate tires
-check brake system damage/leaks, pad thickness
-check boots of drive axle shafts for tears/leaks/damage
-check manual tranny for leaks
-check/fill ATF
-check exhaust for damage/leaks
-check for OBD-stored problems
-reset SRI
-check automatic shift lock
-check A/T transmission kickdown, braking, steering, heating,
ventilation, A/C, power accessories, electrical + lighting systems (road
test)

3) 3000 + 60000 mile service
-oil+filter
-coolant level/fill
-brake fluid level/fill
-power steering fluid level/fill
-check for fluid leaks
-check+lubricate hood lock (Canadian vehicles only)
-drain water from fuel filter (diesel only)
-replace fuel filter (diesel only)
-replace pollen filter
-check battery fluid level (water level)
-V-belt tension/condition check/condition/adjustreplace if necessary
-poly-ribbed drivebelt check/condition/adjust/replace if necessary
-replace camshaft drivebelt every 60k miles (diesel only)
-check camshaft drivebelt (4cyl only)
-replace spark plugs
-replace air filter (every 30k miles/2 years)
-check tire condition/pressure
-rotate tires
-check brake system (pad thickness, damage, leaks, cracks)
-check drive axle shaft boots for tears/cracks/damage
-check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends on front axle
-check ball joints and tie rods for play/wear
-check manual tranny for leaks
-check level on automatic tranny final drive
-check/fill ATF
-check/fill manual tranny fluid
-check exhaust for damage/leaks
-check all lights
-reset SRI
-check OBD for messages/trouble codes
-check automatic shift lock (automatics only)
-check A/T transmission kickdown, braking, steering, heating,
ventilation, A/C, power accessories, electrical + lighting systems (road
test)
-check engine idle speed

4) 2-year service:
-replace brake fluid regardless of mileage
-replace air filter ever 2y or 30k mi.

5) 4/8-year service:
-inspect air bags at 4 and 8 years and every two years thereafter

notes:
a) VW does not specift a replacement interval for the camshaft drivebelt
on 4cyl gasoline engines. The publisher recommends periodic inspection of
the belt and replacement every 90k miles or 5 years.
b) in case of sever conditions, such as extremely high temperatures,
continuous mountain driving, trailer towing, predominantly stop-and-go
traffic conditions, it is necessary to change the ATF every 30k miles.
During this time the ATF sump should be removed and cleaned and the ATF
strainer and sump gasket replaced.
-=-=-=-

Okay, guys, that's what The Book says (thank you to Dave for The Book).
It's not verbatim, but close enough. There is no mention of 6cyl
drivebelt replacement. But they did mention replacement of the sparklers
at 60k ... and I had thought that they'd used a special kind (platinum?)
of sparklers in our cars. Guess that informant was mistaken. My '95 GLX
is halfway through 58k miles, so I'll be taking it in in a month or so.
I'll let you all know what the dealer claims to have done when it
happens. Should be free ... right?
   If you need any of this clarified, let me know. I'm not a mechanic,
but I'll do my best to answer your questions.
-Tom
'95 JettaGLX
'84 JettaGLi

     /|=-    Thomas J. Boyer   --=|/