RE: Stock Bose Stereo

The other option that they come with is a "Premium" system (next step down
in the VW line) with a 6 disk changer. This seems to only drive 2-4 of the
front speakers (top dash definitely don't work, I'm not sure if both the
bottom dash and door speakers work) and the main rear deck speakers. It may
be that the tweeters on the rear deck are running, but its hard to tell. The
tweeter pods in the rear doors don't do anything (do they with the Bose?).
Apparently VW was having trouble with some of the Bose amps, and used the
Premium/CD changer as a like-cost replacement.

I was hoping to get the Bose system, and thought the car I was buying had it
until I showed up and saw the CD-changer. The salesman offered to look into
getting the Bose system, and I also had him check into pulling both the head
unit and CD to get a stereo credit. I went ahead and bought the car anyway
(I figured Porcelain Blue to be pretty rare), and we'll see how they do on
this after the sale.

Failing the pre-sale promises, I may have a "Premium" head unit and
Panasonic 6-disk changer (rect. plug) for sale in a bit.

A few questions someone might know the answers to:

 - If the Bose system wiring is in the car (possibly not due to the
"Premium" system), could this be useable for an aftermarket system?
 - Are there any problems fitting in an aftermarket head unit other than the
pin 15?/diagnostic plug problem?

Thanks,
Tim Irwin
'98 Porcelain Blue Met./black leather
bun warmers (boy those will be nice after skiing)
Bone stock
~150 miles (850 left until the fun begins)