Re: bumper cover

I bought my '97 GLX used, and when I bought it, I noticed that the
plastic
piece above the bumper was not smooth, but rather pebbled.  It isn't
that the
paint is peeling or anything like that, the only weird thing is that the
plastic is rough instead of smooth.  I asked the dealer and he told me
that it
had been replaced, that it had been cracked and so they replaced it, and
that
all the replacement pieces are rough; that the paint sticks to them
better.

This actually sounds like a euro-spec bumper. IIRC, there are 2
different versions. The european version, which utilizes different
(smaller) turns and blanks, and a visually identical version which is
hecho en Mexico and uses the same size turns/reflectors. Someone on the
GTI VR6 list mentiones that Mike Potter was getting in the Mexican
versions, and Eurotech Racing in Tampa, FL carries the European version.
Sounds like you need to paint the tops of those bumpers black and get
the european side trim and fender flares ;)

Tom M. Matthews
tmmatthews@worldnet.att.net
'95 GTI VR6