Engaging the reverse without crunching gears (revived Wolfsburg)

From: Mitchell Leben <mitch@leben.com>
To: jettaglx@igtc.com <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: Introduction, revived Wolfsburg

>> Umm.. I think it could be because... um.. No
>> engine in the rear end?..
>
>Of course :) Also the drive train is all up front, not much
back there
>under the trunk. The first week I had the car let us say the
front end
>became smushed. The front tires left black skid marks, the rear
of the car
>I believe left the ground (sure felt that way). Stopping power
seems to
>come almost all from the front.

This is silly, but can try it:  Drive with the gas tank
filled-up, to make more wight on the rear. Place something heavy
in the trunk, and reduce wight with time.

>> Push. Left. Up.
>>
>> Need to be used to it..
>
>I *might* get used to it over time. Is VW protecting me from
myself? I can
>just imaging a valet crunching gears looking for reverse.

Aaaaaaahh!!

Notice: reverse in Volkswagens is not syncronized. VWs'
gearboxes are not swiss clocks like Porsches', yet...

Try this:

1.- Whatever gear is it in, go to neutral.
2.- Engage first (clutch in)
3.- Go to Neutral
5.- Engage reverse (and de-clutch)
6.- NEVER will hear crunching again.

In one move: clutch -> 1 -> N -> R -> de-clutch.

>> >o Cucaracha cucaracha
>> cucarachacucarachacucaracha...
>>
>> Is it not starting yet?. Someone left a tape in
>> the stereo from the factory?.
>
>Perhaps I don't understand your reference. Anyway, I mean the
annoying

Cucaracha, car comes from Mexico...Forget it, silly joke.

>beeping sound from the relay under the dash when the door is
open. I
>pulled it out, but it seems be tied into the alarm system! When
I get

Of course!. It must be attached to the courtesy lamp either.
Find the damn speaker, cut it out, put in place some 5 amp fuse
or something to simulate the speaker electric resistance (does
it have to do with the speaker's marked Ohms?), and problem
solved.

>around to it I will cover the speaker grill on the relay.

Damn!. I'm happy that the Mexican version of VWs don't come with
DRLs, stupid beeps when door opens, nor obligatory clutching for
starting.

I think someone must be real stupid to drive with an opened
door, to crash when actually you can see the other cars in a
driveway (when not, turn ON the fog lights and/or normal night
illumination), or to start a car without checking if a gear is
engaged first.

>Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Jetta. I
think after
>driving a beloved car for 12 years it will take a while to
adjust.

Yeah. Give me a Dodge Neon and I'll trow it to a lake in one
week.

>> about trying a new brand (oh my), and he bought a
>> 'new' old Nissan Sentra. Damn, everything makes
>
>My mom had a Nissan Stanza. Everything you said, and probably
worse!

HEH!. See?.

>Cheers too Alex, thanks for writing back.

Cool.. I hope my Volkswagen mailing list (in spanish) gets as
busy as the GLX list...

- Alex Kunstmann