RE: a/c

I'm not sure about VR6's specifically, but I do know that many A/C systems
have a feature that prevents the compressor from running once Freon becomes
unacceptably low.  This is done to preserve the compressor as running it
without sufficient Freon will ruin it.  You may have had a slow Freon leak for
some time which caused the system to finally stop running.

Of course, this is strictly a theory as I am not a VW or an A/C expert.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP