RE: Changing brake pads

The best way to avoid spilling fluid when the piston is pushed in is to remove
some fluid from the reservoir first.  The easiest way to do this is to soak it
up with a VERY clean rag, & do not remove any fluid below the minimum line on
the reservoir.  This will allow fluid to be pushed up into the reservoir
without spilling any, but it will not necessitate bleeding the brakes because
no air will be introduced into the system.  Once the brake job is completed,
you may find it necessary to add a small amount of brake fluid to bring fluid
level up the the maximum line on the reservoir.  By the way, I always do this
as a precautionary measure when doing a brake job because brake fluid WILL eat
paint.  Therefore, it is ill-advised to spill it under any circumstances.

Regarding the necessity for new brake fluid, performing a brake job does not
necessitate a brake fluid change.  However, VW does recommend that the brake
fluid be changed every two years regardless or whether or not brake pads are
being replaced.  This recommendation should be followed religiously on our
cars or any other ABS equipped car.  In addition to all of the usual
negatives, the dirt & moisture typically present in old brake fluid will
eventually ruin the ABS components.  This is often the demise of ABS systems
in ill-maintained cars.

I agree with the need for better brake fluid racing or even for enthusiastic
street driving.  However, watch out for brake fluids that are marketed as
being strictly for racing applications (i.e. Motoul DOT 5.1).  Racing brake
fluids seek to achieve superior heat resistant qualities above all else.  In
the bargain, the manufacturer ends up with a brake fluid that absorbs moisture
much more easily & quickly than a typical DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.  This is of
little consequence to racers because we are constantly changing our brake
fluid regardless.  However, most people don't want to change out the brake
fluid in their street cars every 3 months.  Therefore, look for a high
quality, dual purpose brake fluid.  Kevin mentioned Super Blue which would fit
the bill perfectly.

With regard to improvising instead of buying the VW service tool for the rear
brakes, I will say to each his own, & consider your abilities before trying
it.  For someone as clumsy as myself, a $50.00 service tool is cheap insurance
against ruining a much more expensive rear caliper.

Michael Keith
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP
>===== Original Message From "George Turner, Jr."  =====
>I have changed my brake a couple of times.  you do not need to refill brake
fluid, although if you are doing any autocrossing are a lot of hard braking, I
would suggest that you change the stock fluid.  I have never used the
*special* VW rear brake
>tool.  I have improvised it with a C clamp and s set of channel locks.
Although if you remove the top off of the reservoir, you can easily push back
the rear pistons, by doing this, you risk the change of spilling fluid and
getting air in the