Cigarette Lighter Revisited.

Here is the original problem message: (9/6/98)

97 Jetta .....
Wierd problem....my cig. light (CL from now on) went dead....Nothing plugged
into it works.
The light around the CL works fine. I checked the fuses and the one labeled
for the CL was intact...
that fuse also lists Interior Lights and other stuff that was all working
fine....

Is there a hidden fuse or breaker for the CL somewhere else? When I looked
in the Bentley, it shows that the CL light should be on the same circuit as
the CL.. Is my CL just dead? I dont think so....I ran a voltmeter with the
terminals on the +12V (Red/white wire) and ground (brown wire) and it showed
nothing.. What could be wrong?

(9/8/98)
Stopped into VW today and my friend (and service tech) fixed my problem in 3
minutes.
Seems as though VW knew some a$$holes would try and run crazy things off the
CL.
They put an extra fuse (located above the relays) in the fuse/relay housing.
This fuse just runs to the CL.
There IS a fuse in the normal 22 (#21) that says "cigarette lighter/interior
lights" but this is secondary to the "hidden" one. I guess VW kinda realized
that if a fuse that could be blown so easily was tied to the int. lights, it
would make it difficult to switch them (in the dark)....my tech showed me
the "hidden" fuse, and it is easily noticeable when you take the holder off
of the hooks.

Michael Stewart

PS. Maybe this "Feature" should be in the archives?