RE: interior

I posted these same symptoms in my 97 GLX a while back. It didn't generate any input as far as I could tell.  If you get it resolved either through this group or by some other means, please let me know directly or by post if that is too much trouble.

Please check to see if when you run the Air Conditioning that the area behind the cup holders cools down.  It does for mine.  I will try to do some more testing.

Stephan Martone
Smarton@luc.edu
97 Jetta GLX

Maybe their is a malfunction in your heater controls (always on).  Check out the exit vent at the feet level to see if you have warm air exiting even though the heater is set to off.
Additionally, I had a 95 Jetta GLX where there was a short in the heater controls on the dash.  This eventually caused the control panel to melt.
John Kiekhaefer