From: owner-jettaglx@igtc.com [mailto:owner-jettaglx@igtc.com]On Behalf
Of Khan M. Klatt
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 1998 2:04 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Re: suspension

At 4:35 PM -0400 9/3/98, Talitmon@aol.com wrote:
>Okay, Okay lets talk about springs now.  I was thinking of upgrading the
stock
>springs on my 97 GLX to the softsport, or sport springs from Neuspeed, or
the
>HOR ones from autotech.
>
>Has anyone experienced the different ones in your own car or friends GLX's
>
>I want to tighten things up on my car, and am tired of the body roll, and
the
>bouncy-ness that the stock springs offer.  Please explain the ride
difference
>since that is important to me.  I want to still retain a smooth ride so
when I
>give my Mom a ride, I don't have to listen to her complain more than she
has
>to....
>
>Thanx fellow GLXperts

Talat (sounds like a Turkish name, btw)-

Here are excerpts of what I recently posted about my Sofsport springs,
which sound A LOT like your reasons... I have not experienced the Neuspeed
Sport springs (although Patrick Sherman seems to like his) but they lower
the car, and have a much stiffer ride (Perhaps enough to cause your mother
to complain about the ride?).

I have heard NOTHING about the HOR springs, which means that my comments
come from only having driven my setup, having heard about Patrick's, and
knowing nothing about the HOR springs.

> The reasons I wanted to upgrade these three items (respectfully) were:
>
> Improved cornering, and reduced body roll, without a significant hit in
> comfort and everyday driving
>
> I had the option of picking up all four shocks for $200 from a friend on
> the list, and took advantage of it (Thanks, Jeff!). So, the choice of the
> Bilstein HD's were primarily made by the economic factor (great price). I
> figured I might be able to get a different/better set of shocks, but for
> the price I decided not to pass them up, and they are excellent shocks as
> it is.
>
> As far as the springs, being that my choice was to not significantly
affect
> the ride of the car, but improve cornering and reduce body roll, the
> Neuspeed SofSport springs were the right choice. They don't lower the car
> very much, they stiffen the suspension at a progressive rate as needed,
and
> don't make a big impact on every day driving comfort (at least that's what
> people on the Internet and the marketing lit. for the springs said)
>
> What I got out of these elements were:
>
> The shocks and springs do what I expected them to do. Significant
> reduction in body roll, and now the car takes corners without buffeting me
> about the seats as much. Much more control going in and out of the turn.
At
> this stage, my suspension is good enough to expose the weaknesses in my
> Eagle GA's. Perhaps there might be room for disappointment in the
> suspension setup if I go to some agressive tires, such as the Toyo Proxes
> I've been considering. But with the GA's, I can't complain.
>
> Regarding the ride quality, I would say that the ride has not suffered
> much, but it certainly is different. Hitting sharp bumps is more
> controlled, but you feel it more, it feels quite a bit stiffer. Soft bumps
> are handled nicely, you don't even come close to bottoming out (because
the
> car isn't lowered much at all) and IMO feels better than the stock
> configuration. No more "floaty" feeling over small bumps. The car feels
> more solid, if you will.
>
> As far as taking sidewalks (like to park your car in a driveway) I can
take
> them at the same speed and carelessness. I have yet to bottom out, and I
> drive like I did before.
>
> As far as lowering the car, the car was lowered only about 1/2" in the
> front, and 1" in the back. At first the car seemed like it was riding
> "front high" but I like the way it looks, and feels lower. It looks a lot
> lower when four adults are in the car too :)
>
> All in all (other than a slightly skewed alignment that I'm about to go
get
> fixed this afternoon) I got exactly what I was looking for out of the
> upgrade.

P.S. My CD changer has not skipped once due to rough handling, and I drive
the car just as hard as ever.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt