Does anyone know anything about paint?

I bought about $50 worth of paint from a local paint store last week  to paint
my lowere side skirts on my GLX, and then painted them, and it didn't match.
It is a brighter white.  They told me that on acrylic enamel it would never
match correctly, but it is quite a bit off.  They gave me "candy white"
because we couldn't track down the paint sticker in the car.  They also said
that clear coating would darken it.  All in all, I am not happy.  Has anyone
had experience with painting these skirts and can tell me if there is any
truth in this "it will never match because they're plastic" myth?  Its a
pretty noticeable difference...

matt
95 glx
"body matched sideskirts, but not to my car..."

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5464