Re: Muffler knocking noises

>There is a centrally located big muffler in Jetta that tends to rotate and
>knock
>at the bottom of the car. I had this fixed at the last check on 24k miles.
>The
>mechanic raised the car, loosened a bolt on the exhaust pipe on the engine
>side
>and rotated or straightened the muffler so it was horizontal.
>The knocking noises stopped for some 2k miles. Now they are back.
>When at the dealer I noticed that most of the Jettas that I saw from
>underneath
>had those mufflers skewed or rotated with the right side lower then the left.
>This probably means that it is a common problem.
>
>Now my bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone and I am curious if there is some
>general wisdom on the subject in Jetta community. Any advise...

You can have this muffler removed. It is unecessary. My brother had it
removed from his '92 CorradoSLC, with no resultant problems. It has a
nice sound, too. If you had your removed (thereby solving your knocking
problem forever), I would suggest replacing your stock muffler at the
same time. The reason I suggest this is due to the fact that while I'm
sure that the stock muffler will handle the added pressure of having the
intermediary muffler removed just fine this would be an ideal time for an
exhaust upgrade. Get a Borla muffler, or something else that the other
list members can suggest. Most aftermarket exhausts do not require an
intermediary muffler, so you should be fine. Problem solved, and a nice,
new muffler to boot. Just my two cents'.
-Tom

            /Thomas J. Boyer\
            \cyng@lamere.net/