Re: CD Changers for 98 Jettas

Quoting Bruce Stapley's message, sent Sun, May 17, 1998 at 01:29:12PM -0400:

> I personally blew the whole changer thing off and went for CD in-dash,
> which is what I really wanted anyway.  I got a Sony refurbed Mobile ES unit
> (And please, no elitist Blaupunkt/Alpine flames for that, Ok?  For sticking
> with the stock amps/speakers, the Sony does pretty well.) for about $50
> more than it would've cost me for the changer setup, and not only do I have
> better security and in-dash convenience, I also have immeasurably superior
> sound versus the original head unit -- and that's all I replaced.  And I
> can always add a changer later if I want to.

Some questions if you don't mind

1) where'd you get the refurbished Sony ES?

2) What was involved in switching out the in-dash unit?  Did you do it
yourself (if so, was it difficult)?

thanks much!
- -matt

- -----
Matt Garland  -------  Williams College, Class of '98
http://wso.williams.edu/~mgarland/sounds/
  - for tv & movie theme songs up the wazzu (and out the yang)

At the heart of science is an essential tension between two seemingly
contradictory attitudes -- an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre
or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny
of all ideas, old and new.  This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep
nonsense.             -- Carl Sagan