RE: Camry V6 2Door Vs. 97 VENTO VR6

At 11:08 PM -0700 5/13/98, Patrick Sherman wrote:
>Dude.. From what I understand the LE is much differnet than the SE.. I was
>talking about the 2 door coupe SE V6..

According to Toyota's website, there are only three models of currently
shipping Toyota Camry's-- The CE, LE, and XLE. All three are available in
V6 and 4banger models.

The only difference between a CE, LE, and an XLE is what options come with
the car (with the options in the XLE most closely approximating that of the
GLX) (wheels, etc.). Of these cars, the fastest published report in 0-60 is
from Car and Driver, which reports a time of 7.0s for 0-60.

NOW, Toyota USED to make a 2 door coupe and a 4 door sedan, SE V6. I found
some reports on this car in autosite.com.

Year		Source			Performance

	Model/Body	Track

96	SE Sdn	PM	0-60, s.	8.10
			1/4 Mile, s.	15.90

95	SE Sdn	C&D	0-60, s.	7.90
			1/4 Mile, s.	16.20

92	SE Sdn	MT	0-60, s.	7.70
			1/4 Mile, s.	16.00

94	SE Cpe	C&D	0-60, s.	8.00
			1/4 Mile, s.	16.20

94	SE Cpe	MT	0-60, s.	8.10
			1/4 Mile, s.	16.10

For comparison, here's what I found for the GLX:

97	GLX Sdn	C&D	0-60, s.	6.90
			1/4 Mile, s.	15.50
95	GLX Sdn	CR	0-60, s.	8.90
			1/4 Mile, s.	17.00
94	GLX Sdn	C&D	0-60, s.	6.90
			1/4 Mile, s.	15.50
94	GLX Sdn	AUTO	0-60, s.	7.70

Sources:
           AUTO = Automobile Magazine
           CR = Consumer Reports
           C&D = Car and Driver Magazine
           MT = Motor Trend Magazine
           PM = Popular Mechanics

If you'll notice, the worst score for the GLX (Note the source: Consumer
Reports, a VERY conservative publication) outperforms the BEST score for
the 92 SE Sedan.

The best score for the Coupe is 8.0, reported by Car & Driver, while Car
and Driver for the same year reports a 6.9 for 0-60 performance for the GLX.

The only two door (stock) Toyota (the only Toyota period?) I could find
that would put up a match for the GLX (on paper) is the Supra GT, with
turbo models hitting sub 5.0 0-60 times, and the non-turbo models hitting
between 5.3s and 6.9s. Forget the Camry, keep your eye out for the Supra. :)

- -Khan