Re: VR6 vs. V6

Paul,

I believe the main difference is the angle difference that you
mentioned.  Also, the VR6 has only one cylinder head(the 15 deg. split
enables that), while the Audi V6(Passat) has two seperate ones.
The Audi V6 also has 5 valves per pot, while the VR6 has 4.

Due to the almost inline relation of the VR6's cylinders, it is an
extreamly smoothly reving engine.  If you've ever driven a straight 6
cyl car (Z, Merc, Jag, etc.) you'll recognize the character.  I've never
driven the V6 in the A6/Passat, but I'm sure it will feel differnt.

There must be more differences, but I'm not that familiar with the V6.

Steve Harris