Re: Survey about Braking...

> That having been said, I think that it would be acceptable to
downshift to
> slow down when you're going too fast to efficiently slow down with
the
> brakes alone.

The 97 cars have big enough brakes to efficiently slow down.  The most
efficient, quickest braking occurs at the precise moment before ABS
kicks in.  Can you stop faster?  Sure upgrade the suspension for less
brake dive and get stickier tires.  Next would be getting bigger
calipers & rotors and performance brake pads....this would of course
require bigger wheels.

The way I see it (warranty aside), brake rotors & pads are cheap and
designed to wear out whereas the engine isn't.  The engine is designed
to make you go fast, not stop.

> In emergencies, where you are about to avoid a collision or
potential loss
> of life, you might even consider applying the handbrake for
additional
> stopping power.

If you like to spin go for it.

Cheers,