RE: 8 or 10 speaker Bose?

>It's a 10 speaker system. The two speakers in the dash are coaxials.
>The dumb tweeters in the rear passenger doors? I don't know why
>they're there. Apparently VW at one time installed tweeters in this
>location but don't anymore... Why they still install those there I don't
>know.

on the non-Bose stock "premium" system in at least the model year of '95,
the
setup is as follows (which may explain the above):
2-tweeters on the dash
2-midrange/woofs in the front doors (near the bottom)
2-tweets in the rear doors (on the handle, near the top)
2-midrange/woofs in the rear doors (same place as in the front doors)

on the non-Bose stock "normal" system in pre-96 (to my knowledge), which
is
seen in the GL (and maybe GLS - I'm not sure), the setup is as follows:
2-tweeters on the dash
2-mid/woofs in the front doors (near the bottom)
2-tweeters on the rear deck, way in the corners
2-mid/woofs on the rear deck, just forward and inside of the tweeters

it's a very nice setup either way. The seperate "component" tweeters give
very crisp sound even with the rather lame stock Clarion head unit and
even more cruddy stock paper speakers. In I believe all A3 Jettas, there
are cutouts in the metal portion of the rear deck (about 5 1/4" or so)
for speakers. If your speakers aren't in the rear deck, then you'd have to
do a little bit of cutting of particleboard and carpetting in order to
install a set of speakers in the deck - but the holes are cut, in the
metal portion at least. Not so bad. But the setup seen in the first
example
is what I have and it's very decent for a non-name-brand, stock stereo
system, even if the base is rather lame.