Older GTI - help me buy/shop

Howdy folks,

I'm starting to look for a second car and I'm pretty much set on
an 86 GTI - its pretty cheap and cheaper to mod/maintain than a
16V.

Since I'm green when it comes to differences btw model years and
only joined the VW family last year with my GLX, I don't know what
exactly I should look for.  Sure low milage, rust and maint records
are obvious but what else should I look for to determine if I'm
getting a decent deal?  I guess I need help shopping.

On a related note, if I get a decent deal and have a few extra $ to
spend on upgrading, what should I get done to the engine to better
performance and extend engine life?  Valve job?? cam??

Cheers,

- ---
Jeff Newton