Re: A sad loss.... WAS: Re: Drive April

Khan M. Klatt wrote:

> I say count your BLESSINGS (pun intended, no offense, Jason), if you got
> away with a bruise. The best advice I can give is to really sit down and
> analyze what you did wrong in the situation, and then look REALLY seriously
> at the way you drive from the perspective of avoiding such an accident in
> the future from here on out. Pay attention to the way you're driving (not
> tailgating, watching past the car in front of you for brake lights, etc.)
> and then consider it a lesson learned, and forget about it. Don't dwell on
> it, as long as you've taught yourself a lesson. And hey, it was a lease,
> right? And you've got insurance...

Very true. Trying to learn from it is what I am doing. I could follow
a little farther back. I did look at me skid marks and it looks like
I was actually feathering the brakes a bit( black patch, no patch, black
patch, no patch, etc.). The guy in front of me was too big to
see around and I think that he didn't have brake lights. I don't know
why I didn't think of it at the time but the first thing the guy in
front of me said was, "was my brake lights working?" Very suspicious.
Anyway, regardless of that I can ALWAYS do better. What doesn't kill
you makes you a better driver right?

> Once you pay off the deductible, go get a new one, baby! :)

I REALLY hope I can do this. This is my first accident, not bad
for 16 years of driving I guess, so I am not sure what the insurance
company will pay. I don't even find out if it is a total or not
until maybe Monday. My payoff right now is around $14K. If the blue
book for a '96 Jetta with 31k is around high 14s, according to Kelly
and Edmonds, then will the insurance company pay the blue book?
What if my car isn't a 'total' but the fix it up instead. Then what
happens to my lease?

Questions, Questions, Questions,
Thanks to everyone for all the support,
greg.

> -Khan

[SNIP!]
- --
       _________     USPA: A-20947      Gregory Wright
       _  / __ __  ___/  _ \_  __ `/    gregory@halcyon.com
       / /_/ / _  /   /  __/  /_/ /     Spacelabs Medical Inc.
       \____/  /_/    \___/_\__, /      Intesys Division.
                           /____/       (206)867-7327