Re: Comments on 95 GLX Purchase

From: Jeffrey A. Campbell <jac@ch1.hfxcable.com>

>On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Christopher Morgan wrote:
>
>> From: Jeffrey A. Campbell <jac@ch1.hfxcable.com>
>> > Speaking of timing belts, what is the normal interval for the VR6
>> >engine?
>>
>> Never.  VR6's don't use a timing belt, they have timing chains.
>
> And the interval on those?

Hopefully never.  The timing chain for the VR6's was designed with the
durability needed for a diesel version, so I wouldn't be surprised if they
last for a couple hundred thousand miles in our gas cars.  It's a dual stage
chain; the crank sprocket drives the oil pump/intermediate spocket with one
chain and this in turn drives the camshaft sprockets with a second chain.
AFAIK, changing the chain requires removing the trans, since the chain is on
the flywheel end of the engine instead of the serpentine belt end.

- -Chris