Re: Tire questions

ted.king@abbott.com wrote:

> Has anyone put a wider/lower profile tire on stock 97 GLX 15" rims?  Tire Rack
> claims that the stock 205/50-15 is the limit w/o switching rims, is this true?
> I was wondering if a 225/40-15 or 215/45-15 might work.
>
> Also, anyone had snow experience w/ :  Brigestone RE71, Dunlop SP8000, Pirelli
> Zero Assimetrico?  I can't stant these Eagle GA's and I want something a lot
> stickier, but have to deal w/ snow on occasion.  Pirelli Supersport 7000
> doesn't come in 205/50-15, or I'd get them, they were great on my old RX7.
>
> Ted King
Hey Ted...

   I had the dunlop d40's on my old A2 jetta and once had to drive in
the snow with them. ( broke the key for the locking lugnut and was
unable to put snows on in time)  Picture me driving in the breakdown
lane with my 4-way flashers on doing 10-15 mph if that.  It was only 2-3
inches of snow!!  They are downright horrifying in the snow.  I would
never recommend any summer tire for the snow, almost a guaranteed
accident.

        jeff

210a equipped for winter ---->  RE71 for summer   :-)