pre-purchase questions

After quite some consideration, I am thinking about buying a used
'95-'97Jetta GLX (or perhaps a '98 later this year).However, after
lurking on the list a bit, I've come up with some questions (directions
to FAQ's are welcome).

-- How reliable are they?
	Can I expect 150+K reliable miles out of it? (currently running
a Mazda with 165K)
-- Should I be concerned about buying one that is out of its initial
2/24 warranty period?
-- What are the common problem areas?
-- How are maintanence costs? (I've seen some fairly pricey oil filters
out there)
-- How rare are colors other than red, white, or black? (three of my
least favorite car colors)
-- How are the seats on a long drive (6+ hours)?
-- What about theft prevention (factory and aftermarket)?
	It appears that the door handles are a problem here.

Other cars that I'm considering (short list due to head room
considerations and driving preferences):
BMW 325i (E36) -- more expensive or higher mileage than I'd like, unsure
about winter traction
Mazda 626 V6 5spd -- _very_ rare
 <= '97 Passat GLX -- ruled out due to steering wheel blocking gauges
'98 Passat GLS Wagon 5spd -- more expensive than I'd like, but great
hauler

Thanks,
Tim Irwin
Sr. Software Engineer