Temperature Gauges

Fellow GLX-VR6ers,

I wanted to ask the group for clarification on the two temp. gauges, the
analog (dial) one located on the left side of the dash, versus the
digital one that displays from the MFA selector.  While the awesome VR6
is warming up to performance temperature, the two gauges read
differently.

I live in the SF bay area with average day/night temps from 80/50.

The analog dial comes up to speed quickly and stands straight up and
down generally within 5 minutes of idle.  Thus, it appears as though the
car has warmed up as much as it will (as the dial reaches this point and
stays consistently at this point).  This contrasts with the digital
indicator that comes on at 130 degrees (I think) and slowly rises to the
normal operating temp in the range of 210 - 220 fnht.  Only, it takes
about 15 minutes for this temp to rise.

What's the difference?  Why the two readings?  Is one engine block temp
and the other oil temp?  I feel its important to know so that when I
change personalities from simply "operating my car" to "driving my GLX",
I don't want to stress a relatively cold engine.  Ultimately, I'd like
to know when its safe to bring the revs up to 5,500 and how can I
accurately tell the right time to do so.