Noises from the engine

I dropped off my 97 GLX at the dealer this morning for the 20k service, and
while I was there I mentioned a funny whining noise (sounds like a ghost,
whatever that means) coming from either the engine or the drivetrain right @
2100rpm (same noise in all gears). If this sound gets isolated and hopefully
fixed, I'm thinking this should be covered under warranty, but the service
advisor tells me, "Any strange noises that we look at and fix are only
covered for the first year/12k miles." Is this true? I'm pretty sure that
even if I have to pay an out-of-pocket expense it shouldn't cost too much,
but i was just wondering if the dealer is trying to dick around with me.
Don? Any thoughts as to what this noise might be (I know it's a longshot as
you can't actually hear the noise, but I'm trying anyway!)?

Thanks,
Kevin
97 GLX Windsor Blue "Lost Soul Edition"

Unrecognized Data: application/ms-tnef