Re: [G60]Oil vs Water temps

Hi.
   Seems to me that the oil temperature is often higher than the water
temperature. This is due to the fact that pretty much the only reason
why your car has "water" in it at all is to cool the oil - thus, the
water will always be trying to cool down the oil. It would be odd to
have a fluid which retains heat longer for the purpose of cooling a
liquid which retains heat less (meaning that it would be kind of dumb
to use oil to cool water, since water sheds heat quickly and oil
doesn't). Hence, we have the term "water-cooled."
   On the other hand, and for the same reason (molecular density), the
water temperature will climbs more quickly (from a cold start) than
the oil temperature. The water absorbs and releases heat much more
quickly than oil does, since it's a much less viscous and therefore
less dense liquid than oil.
   I hope that this makes sense.
   -T

         /|     -=Thomas J. Boyer<cyng@lamere.net>=-     |\
         \|      -=Tsaim Kurros<pen.mip.net 4000>=-      |/
.     .     .  q u e   h a y   s i n   m i   a m o r ? .     .     .