Re: Short Shifters for VR6

Kevin Collins wrote:

> On 1/19/98 5:21PM, in message
> <01BD24FE.AEE6DB20.psherman@bigfoot.com>,
> Patrick Sherman <psherman@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have the NeuSpeed or similar short shifter kit? Any comments
> or
> > suggestions?
>
> I have it (Neuspeed).  Major improvement.  NOT nirvana, however.. due
> to decreased
> leverage from its higher pivot point, it's a little stiff.. but you
> get used to it.  Definitely
> better than rowing that stock oar.  Bang for the buck-wise it's not
> the greatest of mods..
> ..the shifter is expen$ive (~$325, though you can get Todd's version
> for a lot less) and
> the install requires dropping the exhaust system, plus whatever other
> headaches you
> encounter when you get under there (ND did mine, I think they charged
> 3 hours of labor,
> and it DID appear to take that long!).
>
> If I had to do it all over again - I would.  But only recommended if
> you don't mind the
> expense..
>
> --
> Kevin Collins
> collinsk@pacbell.net
> '97 GTI VR6

   I just had the neuspeed short shifter installed last week.
4hrs of labor by a mechanic.
The feel of the shifter is clunkier and requires more effort than the
stock. This however is a small price to pay for the benefits. The second
to third shift is improved the most.
It really changes the feel you have with your car. Shifting with the
stock shifter I had a tendency to shift with caution, grinding the gears
once or twice has this effect on me. Shifting with the neuspeed shifter
allows me to shift more aggresively, without fear of the ole grindo.
My overall driving enjoyment has increased, but my wallet has decreased
to the tune of  500 skins.

Kiki

97 glx