RE: Racing & Pricing...

My brother has an Eclipse GS-T with a few mods.  I pull from him off the
line, but he starts to creep up on me when I'm in third.  I really start
puling away from him when we hit about 100mph.

I got a friend with a highly modified Integra GS-R (the only Integra I
respect)  We run with each other most of the way.  He starts to creep away
from me at about 125 mph.  We only ran this high once, and it was at a time
when I had a bad clutch, so I am looking for a rematch (before he puts on
his turbo).

I've raced many a Mustang GT, all with similar results (some modded, some
not).  In stock form (except for a P-Flo with the K&N filter), I stayed
with Mustangs no problem.  When I had a few more mods, I raced a 1995 5.0
GT on the highway.  I started to pass and pull away from him in fourth
gear.  As I passed, he looked over at me in amazement. That night I ran the
car up to a speedometer indicated 150 mph (yes, the was chipped then).  I
also ran against a 4.6 GT Convertible one day, with four people in my car
(he was alone).  He tried to pull away from me, but he couldn't do it.  I
stopped after some people in my car started to complain.

I have been embarrassed a few times though.  Once was against a new Mustang
Cobra.  I was coming back from the NY Auto Show with four people in my car
(again).  I saw the with Mustang coming up behind me quickly, but he had
the fog lights off, so I thought it was a GT.  He got on my tail and
flashed me.  I dropped the car into third and nailed it.  To my surprise,
he stayed on my tail.  At that time I started to think that it wasn't any
GT.  At 120 mph, he pulled next to me and began to pass.  Everyone in my
car looked over and said the same thing when we saw the Cobra symbol on the
fender.  I decided to continue playing with him.  I caught up to him (more
like he let me) and we got side by side.  I nailed it and started to pull
on him.  Then he realized that this wasn't any normal VW and downshifted.
 He went by me giving me a thumbs up as I looked at his tail lights.

The other time was during the period when I had my bad clutch.  This guy
with his brand new, just off the lot, Ram Air Trans Am heard about my VW,
so he wanted to see what it could do.  I was reluctant because I knew that
I couldn't beat him in a straight line race, but my friend Mike talked me
into it by saying "It's only an automatic".  We found a light.  The light
turned green, my clutch slipped, he didn't have to worry about that, and he
was gone.  I did run against him again when I put in my new clutch.  Even
though he did win, I made it interesting for a while.

Marc