'96 GLS Automatic - '94 GLX VR6 comparo

Hi All,
	I had a loaner from Autohausl last week while my C was in the body shop.
They leant me a '96 Jetta GLS automatic out of their used car stock. I
thought I would point out some differences I found from my German built '94
GLX.

Performance : I was impressed actually. It was a shadow of my GLX, but it
had more power and handling than I expected the car to have. I still find
it superior to the other rentals I have had from Mitsubishi, Chevy, and
Toyota.

Sunroof: The new button is cool, but takes some getting used to. When I
would put it in tilt position, the inner sunroof cover would not
automatically slide back about 2 inches to allow ventilation if closed. Are
the newer GLXs and GTIs like this? That kind of sucks, I wonder how hard it
would be to anti retrofit that function into a newer one.

Side Mouldings etc - The GLS had cheap side mouldings/bumper rails on the
doors. They were also unpainted. The license plate frame was also
unpainted. My '94 has painted side mouldings like the '98s have, and also
has a painted/colormatched license plate frame segment.

Lock button - I love this feature. I played with it alot. However the GLS's
central locking system when locking the door without keyless entry from the
driver's side lock core, would not unlock the rest of the car, just lock
it. Strange. This got me to thinking about the button's installation wiring
thread that has been going across the GTI list. What if instead of cutting
the wire to the driver's door (or in the case of my '94, the passenger door
too, what if you used a 1 to 2 connector and used an offshoot to the button
itself. Would this leave both locking options in use or fry my car until it
was a carbacue?
	Also, for asthetic reasons when I do the install I will put my defog
button next to the left positioned AC and recycle buttons, and the lock
button next  to the rightmost rear window controls. If you look at them
closely the leftmost are more flat on the face, and the rightmost have a
convex/lowered segment in the center. If I leave the centermost switchblank
blank, this will separate the different buttons and make them look less
different from each other. Call me anal.

Peach Fuzz Seats - You gotta hate those seats.

Later-G

PS Autohaus had some sweet toys on the lot. These included a '98 GLX in
Silver Arrow with black leather, a '98 GLX in Porcelain Blue, a '98 Passat
GLS V6  black with black leather and on 5-spoke wheels (very sweet car),
and a '97 911 Twin turbo with only 2000 miles. They also showed me the last
993 arrival (a Carrerra S), and stated that the new 911 will be arriving in
February.