Dealer damaged my BBSs

Folks,

I was doing a detailed cleaning of my stock BBS wheels the other day and
I noticed that about 60% of the coating had been removed from the out
side edge of the wheel, where it meets the tire. I could clearly see a
brassy surface where the clear coat/paint had been removed.  A month or
two ago I had new Pirelli's put on the car by the dealer (ordered them
from the Tire Rack) during a state inspection.  I suspect that the
- -insert insulting name here- mechanic used the wrong method or tool for
mounting the tires on these wheels.

My question: is it normal for the edge of the wheel to get this scraped
up during tire mounting? I mean I was picking off FLAKES of wheel
coating with my fingers!

Thanks guys,

Joe