Some don't deserve a VW - Story

Bad VW encounter story (Long...sorry):

My wife and I were on our way home after the holidays in our 97 GLX.
The back seats were down and the car loaded with suit cases and
presents.  Our cat Cessna lay lazily on the luggage enjoying the
drive.  We had visited the relatives on Vancouver Island and we
needed to take a ferry to get back to mainland.  We were convoying
with another couple who own a 95 GTI.

The hiway was busy as almost everyone who travels it is headed to the
ferry terminal.  About 15 minutes from the terminal, a black A3 Golf
CL with a huge dent in the driver's door, races up the slow lane and
dodges left to avoid a Cheeroke, cutting me off in the process.  I
had to get on the brakes hard and our friends behind us almost locked
them up to avoid rear-ending my car.  What an asshole I thought!  He
continued to dangerously weave in and out of traffic but it didn't get
him very much further ahead of us.

At the last remaining stop light before the 5 minute drive to the
terminal, the Golf was first in the fast lane.  Beside him was another
SUV with us behind it.  When the light went green, the guy in the
Golf spun his tires and accelerated past the SUV and dove into the
slow lane still pulling away from the traffic pack.  The car beside
me fell behind as we accelerated so I changed lanes.  With no one
ahead of us except the Golf way ahead in the slow lane, my wife
looked over and said "go for it".  I couldn't resist so I floored it
in 3rd and the G-chip kicked in.  Of course, we screamed by the Golf
at ~90mph and hit the brakes to match his speed.  He looked over
with his jaw open.  There were two smiling passengers giving him the
finger and a cat in the back staring out at his damaged ride.  I
slowed to the legal limit and the Golf pulled away and out of sight.

Later at the terminal, I saw the Golf in the line for a ferry that
wasn't loading for at least 30 minutes.  He definately had plenty of
time to make it.  We discussed the incident with our friends and my
friends' fiance concluded that perhaps he was just a bad driving
asshole.  I refused to believe that and theorized that perhaps his car
was in the shop and the Golf is his girlfriends' car.  I'd hate to
think that he is the owner of that car because he sure as hell doesn't
deserve to drive a VW!

BTW, I've had a few cool VW encounters but many of these types of
encounters have been written about by others.  I thought I'd share
this incident and let everyone know that it has done nothing to
damage my enthusiasm for this car or the brother/sisterhood that I
feel like I belong to, just for driving one.

Happy New Year to every single VW owner out there!

Cheers,

- ---
Jeff Newton
97 Jetta GLX