RE: radar detector preferences?

I bought a whistler 1490 ($150) and a Bel 855ti ($199). Though they
are last year's model or perhaps older < 3 yrs they were rated up
there with the Val.

However, I returned them both because of way too many (in my opinion)
false alarms. I would get signals and then break my neck trying to
find the source, especially on the interstate.

I'll probably buy a Val as soon as I'm ready to spend the $400 on
radar dectector. When you see flying pigs you know I got a Val !

- ---Stephan Martone <smarton@luc.edu> wrote:

> I just bought a Valentine 1 from Valentine research.  I have a
friend who has had one for a while so I have seen it in action for
over a year now.
> http://www.valentine1.com/
> It has a ton of features and does particularly well versus other
detectors in the tests published in car magazines.
> The major features in my opinion are:
> 1. It has two antennas.  One is facing front and the other  is
facing the rear.  It detects X, K, Ka, and Laser.
> 2. It has a display that shows the direction the radar is coming
from. Front, Side, and Rear.  I especially like watching the radar
source go by.  The display shows front then side then rear.
> 3. It counts the radar sources up to 9.  For example, if you usually
go by a convenience store and see 2 sources(the self opening doors) ,
then one day you go by and there are 3 sources (the self opening doors
+ 1 police car) you have more information to work with.
> 4. It has three levels you can use to help weed out  false alarms.
(A) all bogeys  (L1) Partial logic, and (L2) Full logic
> 5. It has a remote display that shows all of what you see on the
main detector.  You can mount it on your steering column for instance
and use the remote display which turns off the display on the detector
off leaving it dark.  (Costs extra)
> I could go on and on.  Perhaps you should check the website, if this
interests you.
> BTW, I am not affiliated with Valentine Research, just a fan of
their detector.  FYI:  It is mail order only from the manufacturer so
don't go looking for it at your local electronics store.
> Stephan Martone
> '97 Jetta GLX, Black 5spd
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Zeek wrote:
> ok my radar detector is a little old.  it's only a two band (X and
K) and was prettly much useless in the neighboring state of LA, and
while i know the highway patrol here in TX uses K band, i'm not sure
if anyone here is using Ka band...
> does anyone have any recommendations on a GOOD tri-band radar
detector? i'd like something reeeealllly sensitive to the K and Ka
bands and weeds out the useless X band if possible.  laser detection
would be an added bonus... but realistically if they've got laser they
can get you in like two seconds so just knowing they're shooting at
you doesn't help. you're gonna find out when you see the flashing
lights anyway!

> BTW- breakin period is officially over :) i've got like 2300 miles
now.  was playing with a Q45 today.... we weren't racing- i still had
*plenty* of pull left- but we were both going zoooom! like 100-125
most of the way. first i let him lead for like ahundred miles or so
and i followed at a safe distance figuring he could take any radar
action and i'd go scott free- but then i smoked by him and for another
hundred miles he followed... i didn't get the impression he was
struggling to keep up- what's under these guys hoods? anyway i'm sure
my money to power ratio is much better.... as well as my money to
driver satisfaction ratio to boot. screw luxury.  real nice guy,
though (older gentleman) when i exited i waved through my 'roof (i
love doing that) and he waved/smiled...
> oh what's better than waving is when you want to flip off some
asshole and the sunroof's closed and he's watching- deliberately
opening up sunroof- flipping off- closing sunroof.  ooooo that makes
em so mad!

> spank me hard- REAL hard
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/ms-tnef

==