Re: alarm system, keyless entry

The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest

>Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:13:27 -0600
>From: zeek the geek <zeek@texas.net>
>Subject: alarm system, keyless entry

snip
>the other day (predawn very moist dew after 1/2hr drive to
>work) i was sitting in my car listening to the radio with the
>engine off and the alarm armed itself! i used the key fob
>to disarm and looked around to see if i had been triggered
>by someone else's remote (nobody around).
>well a few minutes later the same thing happened!
snip

Zeek-this has happened to me twice this winter.

First time, I hit the remote to unlock the car, opened the door, dropped
my book bag on the passenger seat, sat down and just as I went to put the
key in the ignition I heard the car "chirp". I tried to start the car
(not believing my alarm was set for some reason...) and the alarm went
off - duh! Next time it happened I caught myself and hit the remote again
(before I pissed the neighbors off at 11:30 PM).

What was the common denominator in both instances? It was very damp.

Is there a problem with the factory system or is it just a
weather-related anomaly?

Anyone else?

'97 Jetta GLX Sequoia/Biber beige
- -now sporting a fist-sized dent in the RF fender
thanks to some a**hole!