From: Bunmar@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:35:02 EST
To: gti-vr6@dev.tivoli.com, jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Re: alarm system, keyless entry
Sender: owner-gti-vr6@dev.tivoli.com

Just something to think about:  I'm pretty sure that the factory alarm has an
automatic reset feature.  It works like this:

If the car has been off and you disarm the alarm, if the car isn't started
within a minute or two, the alarm will arm itself.  Maybe this is what was
happening to you.

Chuck Marshall
'98 GLX

> the keyless entry and alarm system works to keep theives
>  and other undesireables out of my GLX, but it seems to be
>  working to keep me IN the car as well...
>
>  the other day (predawn very moist dew after 1/2hr drv to
>  work) i was sitting in my car listening to the radio with the
>  engine off and the alarm armed itself! i used the key fab
>  to disarm and looked around to see if i had been triggered
>  by someone else's remote (nobody around).
>  well a few minutes later the same thing happened! i
>  disarmed it again- this time certain that i had not accidentally
>  hit the button and that there was noone else in sight arming
>  their vehicle.
>  well this happend for a total of three times- hasn't happened
>  before and it hasn't happened since. told a freind of mine at
>  work who drives a golf GL and she said it happened to her
>  like that before the alarm crapped out and she had to get it
>  serviced by the dealer (warranty). she said i need to take it
>  in immediately.
>  is there a TSB on this? has it happened to anyone else? i'm
>  afraid that since i can't duplicate the problem VW is going to
>  tell me it's nonexistent.
>
>  ALSO: i've asked this question once before of the GTI list- but
>  not the GLX list... no responses yet anyway so i'll ask again.
>  is there a way to disable the panic button on the key fab and
>  give it another function? rolling down the windows would be nice.
>  i don't use my key in the door at all so the key-controlled windows
>  down feature isn't doing me much good (until the 110degree texas
>  heat on black/black leather changes my tune.)
>
>  '98 Jetta GLX
>  no longer new- i got my plates and put'em on
>  only two weeks old today and 750miles already!
>  i've been taking it easy :)
- --
For info on: how to subscribe & unsubscribe, the list's mailing errors,
    list archive, etc.  see:   http://www.panix.com/~aqn/gti_vr6_list/

- --WebTV-Mail-942879621-5943--