Re: Thanks (Long)

It would seem that a lot of your frustrations stem from customers wanting to go
elsewhere because your shop's rates aren't competetive.  I'm not saying that they
should come to you for "free" information so that the other guy can do his job right, or
condone some of the other shit in some of your examples, but you point out a real
problem - the fact that most dealers (and I'm certainly not singling out VW dealerships
here) simply aren't competitive.  My dealer wanted $89 to do a freakin' alignment - then
did a poor job to boot.  Sublet out through my local independent VW guy, it cost me $30
a couple of weeks ago - and was done perfectly.  This is but one example but typical
of what dealers often charge.  I understand the economics of having a "factory trained"
staff, the right tools, yada yada yada, but none of that justifies the outrageous
differences in costs for many things - especially if the job then is done poorly for the
premium price, also often the case.  My guy is far more knowledgeable than the
average knucklebuster over at the dealership, and ENJOYS his work, which almost
ensures that he will do a better job.

My advice to you is to try very hard not to let stuff bother you that's beyond your control-
- - it will drive you nuts eventually.  Maybe you should consider going to work for a
reputable independent shop?

I'm glad you decided to stick around.. like many I appreciate your knowledge and
insight, and despite your taking out some frustrations on us, don't have any reason to
think you're a bad guy!

- --
Kevin Collins
collinsk@pacbell.net