More leather . . . . .

>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:24:00 -0600
>From: zeek the geek <zeek@texas.net>
>Subject: more leather than you can shake a cow at

<snippity>

>what's the best way to take care of my
>leather seats and beyond? i mean besides
>sitting on them that's unrealistic. what
>products can/should i use to prolong their
>life? i surely want it to last longer than the
>previous owner! (that would be the cow)

For cleaning, use a damp sponge, and then rub the leather down with saddle
soap.  You can find it most places that sell shoe polish. (like the
supermarket)  The saddle soap will get the grime out and then you wipe it
back off with the damp sponge.  However, dirt isn't the big killer of
leather.  Having ithe leather dry out is.  To keep it supple, clean the
seats wih the soap, and then use some sort of leather conditioner.  A
couple of weeks ago, I used mink oil on 'em.  I then closed all the windows
and put the car in the sun. (the heat thins the oil so it soaks into the
leather better.)  When I opened the car, the wonderful aroma of leather was
everywhere.  I did leave a bit of a residue that I wiped off with a towel.
Next time, I think I'll use Neatsfoot oil (another conditioner)  It doesn't
have quite the waterproofing qualities of mink oil, but it doesn't usually
require a cleanup afterwards, either.  For really good care, try to give it
a light treatment every six months.  This is especially true in climates
where you have very cold weather (cold, dry air that dries the leather,
too) or high heat in the summer.  (that bakes the oil out of the leather.
Summertime parking lots . . . eh?!)

				Dave

Dave Petke			DoD # 1615
Kennett Square, PA		AMA#429282

Lots'o toys. . . . . way kewl.

" . . . and a set of Givis and you are SET!"