Re: SCCA

Bryan Billings wrote:

> I have e-mailed everyone in the SCCA National Staff out of Denver CO.
You sure did, and we all got multiple copies to show it.  Just to point
out your mistake, you hit every SCCA address except for the one that
can answer your question, the SEB.  Besides that, you didn't quote the
specific rules in question, the SCCA event program, or provide your
membership number.  Fortunately, I did everything correctly two
weeks ago, and have *the definitive answer* from them.  You just
did not want to believe what I told you more than once already.

I have also been in contact with the author of SEB item 97-248,
and he confirmed that this response is consistent with his letter
to the SEB on the topic.  We debated this issue at length, and he
specifically said that the VR6 Passat was in DSP, while the Golf/Jetta
VR6 were in CSP.

For your review:

My "letter" to the SEB:

January 23, 1998

Dear SCCA Solo Events Board:

The January 1998 FASTTRACK indicates that VW listings in SP (Walters,
ref. 97-248) was referred to SPAC.  I just downloaded the "1998 SOLO II
CAR CLASSIFICATIONS" (Appendix A) from the SCCA web site, and noticed
some extremely vague lines that may need clarification. Since I don't
know what was contained in 97-248, I will point out the vague
classifications that I found and how I interpret them. If what I found
is covered in 97-248, then I apologize for wasting your time by bringing
it up again. Otherwise, you may wish to review what I have found.

Under the DSP class for Volkswagen, page 9:

        Golf/Jetta (8V, '85-'93)
                (A-2 chassis)
        Golf/Jetta ('94-'97)
                (A-3 chassis)
        Passat (all)
        Rabbit/Jetta (8V, '75-'84)
                (A-1 chassis)

I read this to say that any 8 valve Rabbit/Jetta built on the
Volkswagen "A1" chassis is classed in DSP, as is any 8 valve
Golf/Jetta built on the Volkswagen "A2" chassis.  Those entries
are fine as written, and are consistent with other DSP cars in
the class.  The "A2" chassis Golfs/Jettas with the 16V engine
are already classed in CSP, so this wording covers all of the
permutations of the A1 and A2 chassis VW's ever imported into the
country.

The problem is with the Golf/Jetta built on the Volkswagen "A3"
chassis, as well as the Passat.  These cars all have the optional
12V, 2.8L VR6 engine available, which is rated at 172hp.  The VR6 models
have not been addressed under SP classing since at least 1995, and
they are usually dropped into CSP by the catch-all in that section.
They are a much better fit in CSP, in my opinion.  The new 1998
"B5" chassis Passat is now hitting North American dealerships, with
an optional Audi V6 engine even stronger than the VR6.  This also
appears to be classed into DSP by the current wording.

I don't know if I should be asking for a clarification of the
wording, pointing out a possible classing error, or sending whoever
wrote this section a thank you card.  Before I run out and buy
a set of DSP magnetic class letters and a suspension package for
my current GS 1995 Golf GTI VR6, I would like to know if this was
indeed the intent of the rules, and how long it will remain this way.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this vague classification.

Sincerely,

[signed]

Arthur Emerson, Member # [snip]
[snip snail mail address of record]

Here is the SEB's answer:

Arthur,
The Golf/Jetta ('94-'97) listing should have also included "8V".  The V6
models would then be captured in CSP.

It was the intention that all Passat models be listed in DSP; however,
the
B5 chassis should be a new line listing.  Item 97-248 was basically
questioning the model years and chassis designation matchups.

If you have any further questions regarding this matter, please contact
Howard Duncan, 303-779-6622 x320.  Please contact me if I may be of
further
assistance to you.

Paige Wagner
Series Administrator

Now, to quote what I've said more than once:

> The catch-all only applies to cars that are not listed in any SP
> category.  The book specifically says "Passat (all)" under DSP,
> and the SCCA has concurred with me just last week.

*(ALL)* =  ALL Passats, no matter what the engine.  This is
not a typo.

> The typo
> on the Golf/Jetta A-3 chassis was forgetting "(8V)" on the end.
> With that correction, the VR6 Golf/Jetta go by the catch-all to
> CSP.  (Yes, they are both sedans.  The Corrado gets punished for
> being marketed as a sports car, and thrown into ASP.)
>
> To summarize:
>
> Corrado - GS, ASP, EP
> A3 Golf/Jetta/Cabrio (8V) - HS, DSP, EP
> A3 Golf/Jetta (VR6) - GS, CSP, EP
> Passat (all but B5) - GS, DSP, (EP?)

The B5 will be classed as soon as production quotas for eligibility
are met. (1000 cars on our shores.)

If anybody still has problems understanding this, please let me
know.  I don't like having to post private e-mail in a public
forum, but think that you need to see the exact words to believe
them and put this issue to rest once and for all.....

- -Arthur