Re: Willow Springs

undoubtedly the eclipse is faster than the glx, and you would have to do a
lot of mods to beat it in a 1/4 mile...  I just think know that the glx
properly set up will out handle the eclipse which will eventually set it up
to take it on a straight with proper lines.  The GLX already has lots of
power, most people make the mistake of trying to add more power, which is
very costly, and can make little difference if the power is not being
applied properly.  I hope you understand.  my car dyno'ed at 181.5 hp, which
is only 9 over stock.  They key is using the power that you have.
Examples...1) turn2 motor mounts-$45.    2)Velocity lightened flywheel..
removes 7.5 lbs. of rotational mass.. makes a huge difference.    3)sport
clutch... grabs quicker eliminating lag.        4)modded air box w/ ram
air... better throttle response more down low torque       4)diff kit or
quaffe..... provides more power out of the turns by eliminating the infamous
spinning wheel.     5)suspension upgrades.... eliminates slopy weight
transfers and allows quicker take offs, better stopping and faster turns.
6)wide & light wheels help you stick turns while others are sliding.. and
spin up out of turns because of less rotational mass...
most of these do not neccessarly add hp, but better utilized the hp you
have. you will spend at least 6k (on engine) trying to make a Jetta do sub
13.5 1/4 mile times like a eclipse turbo, but w/ the above mentioned
mods.... your sure to beat most folks on the track!!  my jetta only does
15.25  1/4 miles times (on 17's) at 95.9 mph.. but it sure can slingshot
around a lot of cars thru the turns to help beat them down the straights...
once you have done it and seen it.. it is not soo UNBELIEVABLE or hard to
do.....
george