Re: RE: Brake rotors

At 03:55 PM 12/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I know that the front wheels have sealed bearings that are not serviceable.
>To have these go out at 60,000 is not the norm (at least not for most other
>cars I've had).  These cannot be serviced & must be replaced, & it is
>impossible to replace them without a press.
>
>In my previous message, I was assuming that the rear wheel bearings in a GLX
>are conventional wheel bearings like those in the A2 cars that can easily be
>serviced (except for the bearing races).  If the rear wheel bearings in a
>GLX are of the non-serviceable variety, then nothing I stated in my previous
>message is applicable.  However, if indeed the rears are non-serviceable,
>then it shouldn't be necessary to replace them because non-serviceable
>bearings usually have a very long life.  Again, this is based on my general
>experience & may not apply directly to the GLX.  I don't know because my GLX
>only has 13,000 miles on it; so I haven't had to mess with it at all.
>
>Michael Keith
>Pasadena, TX
>'98 Jetta GLX
>'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP

Michael, The rear wheel bearings on the GLX are just ordinary tapered
roller bearings. I believe they are the same bearings used in the Type II
or Type III. I would have to check the part number to be sure. The inner
races are banged out with a drift and the new ones reinstalled the
opposite. I have a 1992 Jetta ECO Diesel with 240,000 miles and still have
the original front and rear wheel bearings as well as the original rear
brake shoes.

The problems I have found with the fronts on the GLX are water gets in and
causes premature bearing failure.

Don

VWDealer@onelist.com