Report on recent mods/purchases (Suspension, Brakes, K&N)

Well, I've had a chance to drive my car around a little since I had my
upgrades done, and someone asked me to post to the list about my
reflections on my upgrades.

My upgrades I selected to do were:

1. Bilstein HD's Shocks & Struts, and Neuspeed SofSport Springs.
2. Mintex Redbox Brake Pads
3. K&N Reusable Air Filter

The reasons I wanted to upgrade these three items (respectfully) were:

1. Improved cornering, and reduced body roll, without a significant hit in
comfort and everyday driving
2. Improved braking, and reduced brake dust
3. Improved air flow into the engine, and resulting performance increase.

Why I chose these elements follow:

1. I had the option of picking up all four shocks for $200 from a friend on
the list, and took advantage of it (Thanks, Jeff!). So, the choice of the
Bilstein HD's were primarily made by the economic factor (great price). I
figured I might be able to get a different/better set of shocks, but for
the price I decided not to pass them up, and they are excellent shocks as
it is.

As far as the springs, being that my choice was to not significantly affect
the ride of the car, but improve cornering and reduce body roll, the
Neuspeed SofSport springs were the right choice. They don't lower the car
very much, they stiffen the suspension at a progressive rate as needed, and
don't make a big impact on every day driving comfort (at least that's what
people on the Internet and the marketing lit. for the springs said)

2. I chose the Mintex brake pads because of positive notes from people on
this, the Corrado, and GTI VR6 lists. My primary goal was to reduce brake
dust, which the Mintex pads were praised for. The additional benefit was
the improved braking performance.

3. The K&N Air Filter made sense from the technical description of what
they do, it is an easily reversible "mod", it doesn't void any warranty on
anything, and it's inexpensive, and I don't know of another similar product.

What I got out of these elements were:

1. The shocks and springs do what I expected them to do. Significant
reduction in body roll, and now the car takes corners without buffeting me
about the seats as much. Much more control going in and out of the turn. At
this stage, my suspension is good enough to expose the weaknesses in my
Eagle GA's. Perhaps there might be room for disappointment in the
suspension setup if I go to some agressive tires, such as the Toyo Proxes
I've been considering. But with the GA's, I can't complain.

Regarding the ride quality, I would say that the ride has not suffered
much, but it certainly is different. Hitting sharp bumps is more
controlled, but you feel it more, it feels quite a bit stiffer. Soft bumps
are handled nicely, you don't even come close to bottoming out (because the
car isn't lowered much at all) and IMO feels better than the stock
configuration. No more "floaty" feeling over small bumps. The car feels
more solid, if you will.

As far as taking sidewalks (like to park your car in a driveway) I can take
them at the same speed and carelessness. I have yet to bottom out, and I
drive like I did before.

As far as lowering the car, the car was lowered only about 1/2" in the
front, and 1" in the back. At first the car seemed like it was riding
"front high" but I like the way it looks, and feels lower. It looks a lot
lower when four adults are in the car too :)

All in all (other than a slightly skewed alignment that I'm about to go get
fixed this afternoon) I got exactly what I was looking for out of the
upgrade.

2. I haven't tested braking distance, but from reports I've read, it's
probably been reduced a little with these pads. I have noticed a
significant reduction in brake dust, now the front wheels produce as much
dust as the rears do-- which is not much, and easy to clean. I'm happy here.

3. I defy anyone to *prove* that their K&N has made a tangible difference
(say in 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times) but I can say that SUBJECTIVELY, the
car "feels" stronger at speeds at and above 30mph. I'm assuming this is
because there is increased air flow into the engine at these speeds. The
car definitely *FEELS* faster, whether it is or not is not quite clear.
Perhaps it's shaved off a 1/10th of a second off my 0-60 time, but again,
there's no proof of that.

I haven't dyno'd before or after the mod, but I'm not sure that the dyno
would really tell you anything tangible anyway. What matters to me is that
I like the mod because it makes the car feel faster and more responsive to
the throttle at mid-high speeds.

Well, that's pretty much my review of the three aspects I recently improved
in my car.

To improve my suspension any further (without affecting the ride) I plan to
upgrade to Toyo Proxes FZ4's or maybe Z1's (the former having better
treadwear, the latter being more performance oriented). I am not
considering T1 Pluses because I live in an area with a lot of rain/snow.) I
may consider a tie bar, but am not convinced that they will improve my
street driving significantly. I don't plan to Autocross or competitively
race my car where this would make a significant difference.

The other mods I'm planning into the future are:

(1) Garrett Chip

	To improve engine performance, and gas mileage.

(2) Stainless Steel Remus/Brospeed Exhaust Tips

	To improve the looks of the exhaust. Stainless steel will be easier
to clean and maintain. But I want to maintain the dual-tip look of my car
as it is.

(3) Various lighting changes

	European-spec Light Switch (for rear fogs, and other improvements)
	Rear Fog Lights (better visibility in inclement weather)
	Golf MkIV Headlights with Golf Grille (for better lighting, and the
		ability to use high beams with fogs, and even highs and lows
		and fogs at the same time)
	Massive Overkill Wiring (in conjunction with the lighting changes)

(4) Various Interior mods
	Canadian-spec Center Console (the cupholders are useless anyway)
	Muted Light & Door Chimes (La Cucaracha must go (or be muted)!)

The more expensive mods (lighting, tires) will probably be a year or so
out, and the other mods (interior, exterior appearance, garrett chip) will
probably be within the next six months. :)

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green