my bad day and it's only 12:00pm.

GLX'ers,

        So I am on my way to Chicago today to see a hardware trade show
(Norm Abram from the New Yankee Workshop, and Steve Thomas from This Old
House were going to be there), when my left rear speaker starts making a
crackling noise.  The radio was on, not loud at all, and this crackling kept
getting louder.  The noise stops and this burning electrical smell emanates
from the dash.  I veer over to the shoulder and turn off the car.  At this
point, a little stream of smoke pours out from behind the tape deck lid
(Blaupunkt w/ CD changer).  After screaming a few vulgarities, actually, a
lot more than a few, the smoke stops.  I start the engine again, and the
smoke starts streaming out again.  Off goes the car, out comes the
screaming/cussing, and the smoke stops again.  I open the fuse panel and
pull the fuse for the radio: perfect condition.  Turn on the car, radio
turns on and out comes the smoke, and off goes the car.  I replace the fuse
and turn my attention to getting the radio out.  Of course I do not have the
tools to pull the radio, so I pull out my pocket knife and basically cut the
radio out.  There was a smoke stain on the back of the radio coming out from
the wires.
        So I disconnect the radio, turn on the car (no smoke), and drive
back home.  I hate my radio, and I actually enjoyed the silence and the
gapping hole from whence the radio came.
        So that is my day, and it is not even over yet.

        But the drive home was great, I love my VeeDub, I just really
dislike my radio.

Chris
'97 Black Jetta GLX
Garrett Chip, version .10