bose system and such

so i went into my local stereo shop today to gawk
and price a few head units for my (future) black/
black leather GLX... and explained i was planning
on getting the bose system, and the guy tried to
talk me out of getting the bose because "often i
hear customers complain of a squelching sound
coming out of the speakers- and when that happens
it's usually the amp which needs to be replaced...
something that can run up to $400 to replace"

my question: hey, i know this guy wants to make
a sale- but is this just a pitch or has anyone else
experienced this kind (or any other) of problems
with their bose system?

and oh yes, there's more
i'm starting to WINDOWshop for an indash CD player...
any suggestions?
i'd like to have a removable face (on the stereo, even
though having one on my head would be pretty
convinient as well er- another topic) but today was told
that here in the heat of texas- the repeated removal and
replacement would eventuually cause the connecting
shroud (around the pins) to warp, somehow affecting
sound quality...
any thoughts on this? if this is true, would the same be
true for the cumbersome removable DIN units?
of course my local salesman had some spleil about
warranties and all- but i want to avoid the break-in
altogether (insured and paid-for or not).
this is a long post.

oh- yes, how much extra is the bose system?
isn't it about $800? is it worth it?
(former live sound engineer- my EARS will notice)

spank me hard- REAL hard