power window problem?

On my '97 Jetta GLX, the driver's side rear window keeps getting a
streak of either grease or some sticky glue or something on it right
behind the b pillar (abave the lock button).

Recently, I noticed that when it goes up, there is a click from it right
at the middle.  Could this be one of those regulator problems?  The
window has only been lowered/raised 10 or so times, so I can't believe
something is going bad already, but maybe it is. :(

Any help is appreciated

- -erik